OLD-2022-2023 Winter Weather Resources

Immediate Needs | Recovery | Alerts | Weather | Road Conditions & Closures | Stay Informed | Outage Maps | Nevada County | Placer County | Winter Weather Tips | Food Distributions | Food Safety | Medications | Utilities | Mental Health | Families | How to Help | Emergency Proclamations | Trusted Information Sources

Call 911

for a life-threatening emergency, downed power lines, or if you smell natural gas or propane

Or text to 911

  • Placer County – You can call or text 9-1-1 for emergencies if you are living in or traveling through Placer County.
  • Nevada County – You can call or try texting 9-1-1 for emergencies. Some cell phone service providers may not yet have text to 9-1-1 enabled in Nevada County.

Contact 211 for other information

  • Call 2-1-1 or 1-833-342-5211 (1-833-DIAL211)
  • Text your zip code to 898211 to connect with a live call agent

County “Current Incidents” pages provide info about road closures, shelters, power outages, transit, and more

Back to top


  • Call 9-1-1 for life-threatening emergencies.
  • For downed power lines, call 9-1-1, then PG&E at 800-743-5002 if they are your service provider.
  • Nevada County residents: Take the Nevada County 2023 winter storm damage survey if you’ve sustained property damage or have unmet needs. Submissions are confidential.
  • For downed trees on public roadways, see Report Downed Trees section below.
  • For emergency home damage situations, downed trees, snow removal on private property, see Recovery section below.
  • There are no established free or low-cost programs in Nevada or Placer Counties to assist private property owners or renters with tree removal, snow plows, or other snow removal from their driveways, walkways, or other parts of their property. Private property includes mobile home parks, apartment complexes, and developments with Home Owners Associations (HOAs). People requiring help can see if family, friends, or neighbors can lend a hand, or hire private contractors. [3/7/23: The Nevada County Office of Emergency Services says they are now plowing some strategic main private roads in some of the hardest hit areas. The County is making these determinations. There is no way to request this service.]
  • Sand & sandbagsWestern Nevada County, Western Placer County, Tahoe Truckee area: US Forest Service, Truckee Ranger District station, 10811 Stockrest Springs Rd, Truckee, CA 96161. 530-587-3558. Please bring your own shovel to fill the bags.
  • There are currently no firewood or kindling distribution locations. Per PG&E at 3/6/23 press conference: PG&E does not plan to bring in any firewood this year. Gold Country Senior Services Senior Firewood program is out of wood.
  • There are currently no emergency delivery services for medications. Ask family, friends, or your pharmacy if they can deliver.
  • There are currently no mobile shower or laundry facilities.
  • Mental health988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. When people call, text, or chat 988, they will be connected to trained counselors that are part of the Lifeline network. These trained counselors will listen, understand how their problems are affecting them, provide support, and connect them to resources if necessary. See more mental health resources below at MENTAL HEALTH and FAMILIES sections.

211 is reporting community needs to the County and the Office of Emergency Services throughout the day. If new resources become available, information will be posted on this page. If you have a life or death situation, call 911.

NOTE: Please see Recovery section for recent warning involving price gouging of goods and services during emergencies.

Back to top


COUNTY OF NEVADAStorm Recovery Resources including Storm Damage Survey

COUNTY OF PLACERStorm Damage Survey

TOWN OF TRUCKEE – Truckee Town Council approved an expedited permit process and waiver of permit fees for storm damaged buildings and infrastructures



  • Price Gouging – County officials are advising residents to be wary of people price gouging during the storm emergency. Residents in Lake Tahoe are reporting quotes of up to $20,000 to remove snow from roofs. This is against the law during a state of emergency. To report price gouging, contact the Placer County District Attorney’s Office by email at infopcda@placer.ca.gov or the state Attorney General’s Office online or by phone at 800-952-5225. 


  • NEVADA COUNTY – People can search for and contact independent contractors through the Nevada County Contractors Association. At “Find a Contractor” search on “tree service”, “snow removal”, etc. Or seek recommendations from family and friends, do a web search, etc. Cecil Construction Inc is an NCCA member and is open 24/7/365 for emergency home services. 530-274-1516, office@cecilconstruction.com. Contractors will charge fees for their services.
  • PLACER COUNTY – People can search for and contact independent contractors through the Placer County Contractors Association. At “Business Directory” under “Find a Contractor” select specialty “tree removal.” Or seek recommendations from family and friends, do a web search, etc.
  •  There are no established nonprofit or County programs to assist individual property owners with tree cleanup and tree removal after a storm or wildfire. If widespread need becomes profound, steps may be taken to arrange some kind of assistance, such as green waste disposal events.
  • Fire Safe Council of Nevada County has programs that can help with vegetation management.
    • Chipping Program – The Fire Safe Council of Nevada County will chip brush that is cleared from defensible space of any permanent structure, and/or 30’ from any roadside or driveway used for evacuation purposes. The chipping service is limited to 4 hours per customer per application and requests a donation of $75/hr.
    • Defensible Space Clearing Service – Landowners can request a quote for services from the Fire Safe Council. A member of their team will assess the desired work and formulate a reduced cost estimate that will help the landowner gain defensible space at the lowest rate possible while still supporting The Fire Safe Council of Nevada County and its programs.
    • Access & Functional Needs Program – Application deadline extended to 3/28/23. For more information & Application Click Here or call 530-446-1124.Low-income residents who are either 65+ or disabled are eligible for free defensible space clearing services within 100′ of their homes. Applicants should be prepared to supply proof of residency, medical disability, and income. Income qualifications are based on HUD/HCD criteria. Staff is available to help answer questions or assist with paperwork.
    • 2023 Free Residential Green Waste Disposal Days – Fire Safe Council of Nevada County is offering Free Residential Green Waste Disposal Days 2023 in collaboration with the County of Nevada Office of Emergency Services and CAL FIRE at 12625 Brunswick Rd, Grass Valley, CA 95945. See complete details at the County of Nevada page or the Fire Safe Council page. Dates are:
      April 9, 10, 23, 24
      May 14, 15, 28, 29 
      June 11, 12, 25, 26
      8am to 3pm each day


  • If you get storm damage to your home or property, contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
  • You may find helpful information at the California Department of Insurance (CDI) website.
  • UNITED POLICYHOLDERS is a non-profit consumer organization and trusted resource helping disaster survivors with insurance issues for more than 30 years. They offer free webinars, and you can view recordings of prior ones on topics of relevance to your situation. Questions? Email info@uphelp.org. Info for 2023 winter storms is here.
  • PG&E
    • Safety Net Program – If you are a residential customer who has gone without power for at least 48 hours because of severe storm conditions, you may qualify for an automatic payment under PG&E’s Safety Net program. This program provides a payment of $25 – $100, which PG&E pays automatically about 60 days following the storm outage. Do not submit a claim form to get a Safety Net payment.
    • File a claim – You may submit a claim if you believe that PG&E caused a loss for which you should be compensated. You can make this type of claim using various methods, but online is the fastest way for PG&E to process it.
  • California Department of Housing and Community Development may be able to help mobile home or manufactured homeowners whose homes were damaged or destroyed in a California natural disaster such as a wildfire, earthquake, flood, or storm. Details in this flyer.


  • Legal Services of Northern California (LSNC) can help address many legal issues that arise after a natural disaster. Free legal services are available to low-income individuals and seniors (aged 60+). Legal Services of Northern California, www.lsnc.net, 530-823-7560. Specific areas of help are: government assistance/disaster related benefits; replacement prescriptions or medical equipment; housing and renter rights; job/employment impacts; mortgage lender disaster questions; legal requirements during rebuilding; other disaster related expenses; replace legal documents lost in disaster.
  • Disaster Legal Assistance Collaborative (DLAC) is a collaborative of nonprofits, law firms, legal aid, and government organizations that work together to provide free legal services to disaster survivors. Services are open to all, regardless of immigration status.
    • DLAC flyer. Includes common disaster legal issues in a list, services that DLAC provides, DLAC members, volunteer info, and how to contact DLAC
    • DLAC Hotline: 1-888-382-3406 and an informational flyer on what is offered by the DLAC hotline here.
    • DLAC is available to assist you with clearing the title to your property. FEMA is required by law to verify a survivor’s home occupancy or ownership before it provides certain types of assistance. Find answers to frequently asked questions about title clearing here.
    • DLAC website provides info and resources about common legal issues that occur after a disaster. Visit DisasterLegalServicesCA.org
    • Volunteer opportunities are available! Sign up here
  • CA Free Legal Answers has volunteer attorneys who can help you with civil legal matters that are a result of a natural disaster. An attorney can tell you about your rights and help you make a plan of action. This is available to low-income adults (18+) that reside in California, regardless of immigration status. More info on flyer or CA.FreeLegalAnswers.org.


  • County of Nevada Storm Recovery Resources page includes info on unemployment insurance, building permit fee waivers, business resources, the Nevada County 2023 Winter Storm Building Damage Survey, and a variety of additional recovery resources.
    • Regular Unemployment Insurance – The Governor’s State of Emergency proclamation from March 1, 2023, authorized regular unemployment insurance for employees due to the winter storms beginning February 21, 2023, in Amador, Kern, Los Angeles, Madera, Mariposa, Mono, Nevada, San Bernardino, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Sierra, Sonoma, and Tulare county. Per the proclamation, the usual one-week waiting period for unemployment insurance applicants is suspended for all applicants who are unemployed as a direct result of these storms and apply for unemployment insurance benefits during the time period beginning February 21, 2023, and ending on the close of business on August 21, 2023.  As of yet, there is no Presidential declaration to authorize assistance for workers and self-employed people who do not qualify for regular UI benefits (Disaster Unemployment Assistance) in Nevada County. 
  • County of Placer
  • Property tax relief for eligible homeowners
  • Tax filing – Californians impacted by winter storms are now eligible to claim a deduction for a disaster loss and will have more time to file their taxes. More info here.
  • Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) – There are federal disaster declarations that have made resources available to government agencies and some community organizations for disaster response. To date, no funds are available for individuals/families to apply for.
    • January 2023 Winter Storms – FEMA-3591 – includes Placer County but not Nevada County
    • March 2023 Winter Storms – FEMA-3592 – includes Nevada and Placer Counties

Back to top



SIGN UP for Placer Alerts online at www.placer-alert.org

Or text your zip code, followed by a second text with the word “resume” to 88911 (This applies to new or existing subscribers. You will begin receiving Placer Alerts to your phone based on your zip code.)



  • To sign up for an UNMANAGED (or “Guest”) account, call 2-1-1 or 833-342-5211 (833-DIAL211) if you’d like assistance.
  • To create a MANAGED account, or to create a Guest account on your own, go here. A managed account allows you to modify your existing notification settings and contact information. You may also customize the types of notifications you receive and add an additional address.

For more information on CodeRed Alerts, please contact 2-1-1.


Back to top


Back to top


  • CalTrans QuickMap – The Caltrans QuickMap web page presents several types of real-time traffic information layered on a Google Map.
  • CalTrans – Check current Conditions by CA highway number or call 800-427-7623
  • CalTrans Winter Driving Tips – Includes mountain pass closures
  • Placer County Road Conditions and Closures – Interactive map
  • Nevada County Road Conditions and Closures – Interactive map
    • Nevada County Public Works facebook page
    • My Neighborhood maps – The maps contain many kinds of information. Users must agree to terms to access the maps. One of the map layers tells if roads are county maintained. The map opens with window called “Parcel & Recorded Map Search.” Click x at top right to close. From menu choices that now appear, click on Layer List icon to the right of the magnifying glass icon. In the list that appears, scroll down the list of “Operational Layers” to select “County Maintained Roads.” You can then close the Layer List window. Click on any road to see if it is maintained by the County.
  • PLEASE NOTE: There are no established programs in Nevada or Placer Counties to assist private property owners or renters with snow removal from their driveways or walkways. People requiring help can see if family, friends, or neighbors can lend a hand.

Back to top


Trusted information sources providing current updates can be found at the bottom of this webpage.

Back to top



  • PG&EPacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) serves most of Nevada and Placer Counties, including the communities of Soda Springs and Norden near Truckee. 800-743-5002
  • Roseville ElectricRoseville Electric serves people within the city limits of Roseville. 916-797-6937
  • Liberty UtilitiesLiberty Utilities serves some Truckee addresses and surrounding areas. 844-245-6868
  • Truckee Donner Public Utility DistrictTruckee Donner Public Utility District serves the Town of Truckee and some surrounding areas with power from NV Energy. 530-587-3896

If you do not know who provides your electricity, contact the utility companies above.

Back to top



Nevada County Press Conference with PG&E and County Officials on March 6, 2023 (Winter storm response) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR9nl6fP1m0


  • People experiencing homelessness who need shelter can call 2-1-1 for information about possible options.


When specific Nevada County Library locations are open, services provided are as follows:

  • Heat
  • Power and charging station
  • Internet


For updates on Nevada County services, closures, etc, go to https://nevadacountyca.gov/


Many residents are still digging out and are without power. The Weather Service forecasts 6 inches of rain between today, Wednesday, & Sunday. This will likely be a rain on snow event that could bring localized flooding, difficult driving conditions, & dangerous snow loads on structures. Use extreme caution if trying to clear heavy snow from roofs.

Here are a few tips to prepare for the inbound storm:
• Many structures are under a large amount of stress from snow load. Please check for cracks in walls, sagging floors, displaced columns, cracking or dropping arches, bulging walls, or water/smoke that pushes through masonry. Structures with low-sloped or flat roofs, manufactured homes, carports, trellises, and patio covers may be more susceptible to increased snow loads. If you observe any of these items and are concerned about your structure’s safety, consider contacting your local contractors’ association for a list of local and reliable licensed contractors. Call 911 if there is a life-threatening emergency.
• Check in with neighbors, especially those without power or vehicle access.
• Avoid flooded roads, and never try to drive across a flooded road. Be aware of flooding concerns along waterways and low-lying areas.
• Secure household items that may blow away in high winds. Use sandbags to mitigate flooding on your property. The County of Nevada has no-cost sandbags at four sites listed on our website www.ReadyNevadaCounty.org/Sandbags.
• Stay tuned to trusted news sources like YubaNet, KVMR 89.5FM & 105.1FM, KNCO Newstalk 830, and The Union in the Grass Valley and Nevada City areas, and 101.5 FM KTKE www.truckeetahoeradio.com, Moonshine Ink, and Sierra Sun in the Truckee area.
• Report down trees or issues on County maintained roads at www.NevadaCountyCA.gov/ServiceRequest by calling (530) 265-1411.
• Report sewer overflows, spills, or flashing lights at wastewater facilities by calling 530-265-1555 to help us prevent or address spills. Do not open sewer cleanouts or break pipes to drain stormwater.
• Find storm information and local resources by dialing 1-833-DIAL211. If it’s an emergency, please call 9-1-1.
Find County updates and storm information at www.NevadaCountyCA.gov/StormInfo. For more tips on how to prepare, visit www.NevadaCountyCA.gov/1336/Winter-Preparedness.



The following information is for PUBLIC ROADWAYS ONLY (no government or free/low-cost services are currently available for private property)

In Unincorporated Nevada County:

  • For urgent issues, such as a tree blocking a public road, report during business hours, M-F, 8 am-5 pm, by calling Public Works at 1-530-265-1411, or after hours call Sheriff’s Dispatch at 1-530-265-1471
  • Non-emergency concerns for public roadways, report through the County’s Service Request Tool at https://nevadacountyca.portal.iworq.net/portalhome/nevadacountyca.

In the City of Grass Valley, Nevada City, or the Town of Truckee:


Service updates on WM’s facebook page


Severe Winter Weather Impacts Mail Delivery Across Nevada County


Snow Load Advisory: Reminder to Monitor Structures for Dangerous Snow Loads

Back to top



Visit Placer County’s webpage at https://www.placer.ca.gov/1503/Before-During-After-Rain-Events


People experiencing homelessness who need shelter can call 2-1-1 for information about possible options


In Unincorporated Placer County

  • To report downed trees and limbs or road flooding and hazards, contact Roads Division at 530-745-7565 or pcroads@placer.ca.gov. They may or may not be able to assist as private roads, state highways, and city streets and roads are not maintained by Placer County.

In City Limits of Auburn, Colfax, Lincoln, Loomis, Rocklin, Roseville

  • Auburn City of Auburn Planning & Public Works. During business hours, M-F, 8am-5pm, call 530-823-4205. After hours call Auburn Police Department at 530-823-4237.
  • Colfax City of Colfax Public Works. Call 530-346-2313 any time. Number routes to on-call crew after business hours and on weekends.
  • Lincoln City of Lincoln Public Works. During business hours, M-F, 8am-5pm, call 916-434-2450. After hours call Lincoln Police Department at 916-645-4040.
  • Loomis Town of Loomis Public Works. During business hours, M-F, 8am-5pm, call Loomis Town Hall at 916-652-1840. After hours call 911.
  • Rocklin City of Rocklin Public Services. During business hours, M-F, 7:30am-4pm call 916-625-5500. After hours call Rocklin Police Department at 916-625-5400.
  • Roseville City of Roseville Public Works. During business hours, M-F, 7am-3:30pm call 916-774-5790. After hours call Roseville Police Department at 916-774-5000. If there is a power line down, stay away and call 911 immediately. Please report any trees in power lines to Roseville Electric at 916-797-6937.


Placer County:

Local drainage concerns information (including who to contact for your location) is available at https://www.placer.ca.gov/1540/Local-Drainage-Concerns. You may also view, download, or print out the Watch Out for Water pamphlet (PDF). Find info. on Placer County’s Floodplain Management Program, administered through the Department of Public Works, at https://www.placer.ca.gov/1498/Floodplain-Management.

City of Roseville:

Our creeks continue to handle the amount of rain and runoff effectively. Roseville creek levels can be monitored at www.roseville.ca.us/stream. DO NOT walk or drive past barricades or signs warning of flooded areas. To report localized street flooding or road hazards, call Roseville Public Works at (916) 774-5790 during normal business hours. After hours or on weekends, call (916) 774-5000 x 1.


If you believe your home is subject to flooding, Placer County encourages you to prepare your home ahead of time with commercially available options. In the event that the National Weather Service (NWS) has forecast severe flooding in Placer County, sand and sandbags may be available from government sources for residents’ use to protect their houses and property. Phone numbers are listed to check availability. If you live within city limits, please contact your city first for information about sand and sandbags.

Sand is available at various locations throughout the county. Please refer to the County’s Sandbag Locations Map or Sandbag Locations web page.


Placer County’s stormwater quality program goals are as follows:

  • To reduce pollutants in stormwater runoff
  • Eliminate non-stormwater discharges
  • Lessen the long-term impacts of stormwater discharges from development, business, and municipal activities
  • Educate the public about stormwater impacts

For more info., visit https://www.placer.ca.gov/1688/Stormwater-Quality-Management or call 530-745-7503 (open M-F, 8 am to 5 pm). Please email water quality concerns to stormwtrquality@placer.ca.gov


Placer County offers green waste collection and drop-off options to help you clean up your yard. Placer recycling facilities chip green waste for use as mulch or compost, keeping the material out of the landfill. Learn more

Back to top


Listos CaliforniaSafety guides in many languages – before, during, and after FLOODS

American Red CrossHow to keep water pipes from freezing and how to thaw them if they do freeze

Storm Safety Tips from PG&E 

  • PG&E encourages customers to have a plan, prepare for power outages and above all else, stay safe.
  • Customers can get updates on outages in their neighborhood through a variety of channels.
  • Contact the outage information line at 1-800-743-5002
  • Access the Electric Outage Map online at pge.com
  • PG&E customers can also log-in to their account through pge.com and sign up to receive proactive outage alerts through email, text or phone.
  • Never touch downed wires: If you see a downed power line, assume it is energized and extremely dangerous. Do not touch or try to move it and keep children and animals away. Report downed power lines immediately by calling 9-1-1 and then PG&E at 1-800-743-5002. 
  • Use flashlights, not candles: During a power outage, use battery-operated flashlights, and not candles, due to the risk of fire. And keep extra batteries on hand. If you must use candles, please keep them away from drapes, lampshades, animals, and small children. Do not leave candles unattended. 
  • Have a backup phone: If you have a telephone system that requires electricity to work, such as a cordless phone or answering machine, plan to have a standard telephone or cellular phone ready as a backup. Having a portable charging device helps to keep your cell phone running.
  • Have fresh drinking water, ice: Freeze plastic containers filled with water to make blocks of ice that can be placed in your refrigerator/freezer during an outage to prevent foods from spoiling. Blue Ice from your picnic cooler also works well in the freezer. 
  • Secure outdoor furniture: Deck furniture, lightweight yard structures, and decorative lawn items should be secured as they can be blown by high winds and damage overhead power lines and property. 
  • Use generators safely: Customers with standby electric generators should ensure they are properly installed by a licensed electrician in a well-ventilated area. Improperly installed generators pose a significant danger to customers, as well as crews working on power lines. If using portable generators, be sure they are in a well-ventilated area. 
  • Turn off appliances: If you experience an outage, unplug or turn off all electrical appliances to avoid overloading circuits and to prevent fire hazards when power is restored. Simply leave a single lamp on to alert you when power returns. Turn your appliances back on one at a time when conditions return to normal. 
  • Safely clean up: After the storm has passed, be sure to safely clean up. Never touch downed wires and always call 8-1-1 or visit 811express.com at least two full business days before digging to have all underground utilities safely marked. 

Winter Driving Tips from PG&E 

  • Streetlights: At night, the streets will be much darker than usual and will look different. Follow all posted speed limits – or drive a bit slower. Use turn signals when changing lanes and especially at corners with crosswalks.
  • Traffic Signals: If traffic signals are out or flashing red, come to a full stop at every intersection, and proceed as you would at a four-way stop.
  • Keep emergency gear in your car when you’re traveling in areas with snow and ice, including:
    • Cell phone
    • Flashlights
    •  Jumper cables
    • Sand or kitty litter (for traction)
    • Ice scraper or snow brush
    • Blankets
    • Warning devices (such as flares or reflectors)

If your vehicle comes in contact with a downed power line (Tips from PG&E):

  • Stay inside! The safest place is in your car. The ground around your car may be energized.
  • Honk the horn, roll down your window and yell for help.
  • Warn others to stay away. Anyone who touches the equipment or ground around the vehicle may be injured.
  • Use your mobile phone to call 911.
  • Fire department, police and PG&E workers will tell you when it is safe to get out of the vehicle.

If there is a fire and you must exit a vehicle that has come in contact with downed power lines (Tips from PG&E):

  • Remove loose items of clothing.
  • Keep your hands at your sides and jump clear of the vehicle, so you are not touching the car when your feet hit the ground.
  • Keep both feet close together and shuffle away from the vehicle without picking up your feet.

Gas Safety Tips (Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention) from PG&E 

  • Customers who smell gas should vacate the premises immediately, call 9-1-1 and then PG&E at 1-800-743-5000.
  • If you smell gas, do not use anything that could be a source of ignition, including candles, cell phones, flashlights, light switches, matches or vehicles, until you are a safe distance away.
  • Never use cooking devices such as ovens or stoves for home heating purposes.
  • Make sure water heaters and other natural gas appliances have proper ventilation.
  • Never use products inside the home that generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, such as generators, outdoor grills or propane heaters.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors to warn when concentration levels are high.

Portable Generator Safety Tips from PG&E 

  • Be sure that the power needs of the device (electric load) are supported by your generator and does not exceed the manufacturer’s specifications.
  • Position your generator where its exhaust can vent safely to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and death.
  • Only use extension cords that are properly sized for your generator to prevent overheating. The American Wire Gauge (AWG) chart can be utilized to determine which extension cord is right for you. AWG measures extension cord thickness; keep in mind that the thicker the cord, the smaller the AWG rating will be.
  • Keep cords out of high-traffic areas so they don’t present a tripping hazard.
  •  Never run cords under rugs or carpets where heat can be generated or where damage to a cord may go unnoticed.
  • More information on electric generator safety is available on PG&E’s website at www.pge.com/backuppower.

Permanent-standby Generator Safety Tips from PG&E 

  • Installation requires a licensed electric contractor or other qualified professional.
  • Ensure electricity from your generator does not flow or “backfeed” into PG&E’s power lines. The most common way to prevent backfeeding is to install a “double-pole, double-throw transfer switch” along with your permanent standby generator.
  • Any additions or adjustments to your house wiring should be inspected by your city or county building department.
  • Once installation is complete, call PG&E at 1-800-743-5000 to let us know about your backup system. 

Back to top





CALFRESH – The California Department of Social Services will regularly post updates regarding CalFresh’s response to disasters such as wildfires, earthquakes, and severe storms on this webpage.

  • Nevada County – If you receive CalFresh benefits and have lost food due to a power outage: submit a Form 303 or call Nevada County Eligibility at 530-265-1340 before March 30th.

Back to top


Back to top


The Prescription Drug Guide (PDF) provided by California Health and Human Services, is available in English and Spanish.

If you were unable to evacuate with your medications, a pharmacy should be able to assist you in obtaining your medication. To find an open pharmacy during an active emergency, visit the RxOpen website (as suggested by CalHHS), which has maps that include open and closed pharmacies.

Back to top


Call 9-1-1 if…

  • a power line is down
  • you smell natural gas or propane, which indicates a possible gas leak
  • for any other possibly life-threatening situation

A natural gas leak or a propane leak can be extremely dangerous. This includes any size of propane tank, including small ones used with barbecues. Report gas leaks immediately by calling 9-1-1 and then call your provider.

Never touch downed wires. If you see a downed power line, assume it is energized and extremely dangerous. Do not touch or try to move it—and keep children and animals away. Report downed power lines immediately by calling 9-1-1 and then call your electricity provider.

Most of Nevada & Placer counties

Roseville Electric in Roseville, Placer County

Tahoe Truckee

  • PG&E, 800-743-5002
  • Liberty Utilities, 844-245-6868
  • Southwest Gas, 877-860-6020
  • Truckee Donner Public Utility District, 530-587-3896


  • Propane info from County of Nevada & Western Propane Gas Association (WPGA)
  • For Propane Customers
    • Please try to alert your marketer when your propane is at 30-40% full to give enough time for delivery.
    • If using a propane backup generator for power, please consider using it for only essential appliances and focusing on health and safety needs like home heating and cooking.
    • Before a delivery, please clear the path of snow or debris to allow the marketer to safely access the on-site tank. If you are unable to clear the path to your tank, please request the assistance of a neighbor or volunteer, or contact local emergency responders.
    • If you are having difficulty connecting with your marketer, please contact info@westernpga.org or your local county OES office and let them know the following information: your name, address, name of marketer who supplies you, and relevant account information.


  • Water – contact your water agency when able.
  • Wells & septic systems – When power goes out, so do well pumps, and septic systems that have a pump. People with wells should have plenty of water on hand for drinking, flushing toilets, etc. Prepare in advance and find resources by doing an internet search on terms such as “wells and power outages.”
  • Land line, cell phone, and internet outages – contact those service providers when able.

Back to top



  • 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline, English 988 – Spanish 888-628-9454
  • CalHOPE, 833-317-4673 (HOPE)
  • SAMHSA National Helpline (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration), English and Spanish, 800-662-4357 (HELP), TTY: 800-487-4889
  • The California Peer-Run Warm Line Phone, 855-845-7415 (24/7)
  • Veteran’s Crisis Line, 800-273-TALK (8255), TTY: 800-799-4889, Text to 838255
  • See more mental health resources below in the FAMILIES section.


  • Mental Health 24 hr Crisis Line, Nevada County Behavioral Health, 530-265-5811 or 888-801-1437
  • Community Beyond Violence, Domestic Violence 24 hr Crisis Line, 530-272-3467
  • Alcoholics Anonymous, Grass Valley (English), 530-272-6287


  • Adult System of Care 24 hr Crisis Line, 888-886-5401 or 916-787-8860
  • Stand Up Placer, Domestic Violence 24 hr Crisis Line, 800-575-5352
  • Alcoholics Anonymous, Placer County (English & Spanish), 916-541-1485, José


  • Sierra Community House 24 hour Crisis Line for Domestic Violence and other crisis situations, 800-736-1060

Back to top


In response to the recent storms, flooding, mudflows, and other hazardous conditions in California, the National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) has developed resources to help families and communities navigate what they are seeing and hearing, acknowledge their feelings, and find ways to cope together. Resources include:

Psychological First Aid

The NCTSN also has resources for responders on Psychological First Aid (PFA; En Español). PFA is an early intervention to support children, adolescents, adults, and families impacted by these types of events. PFA Mobile and the PFA Wallet Card (En Español) provide a quick reminder of the core actions. The PFA online training (En Español) course is also available on the NCTSN Learning Center. PFA Handouts include:

Other resources include:

Back to top



People can contact local food banks and American Red Cross to make cash donations.


Volunteer opportunities in Nevada County will be posted on the Connecting Point Volunteer Hub as available. Please note that most American Red Cross (ARC) volunteers must be trained and approved in advance of any incident.


The American Red Cross (ARC) is always accepting donations and in need of new volunteers to help respond to wildfires. Many ARC volunteer opportunities require advance training.


HomeShare American River is a nonprofit housemate-matching service that serves to quickly take advantage of housing resources. Match agreements can include exchanges of lower rent for affordable in-home services for “hosts” (and thus informal employment for “guests”). 530-746-8681. Service area includes Nevada County and Placer County.

Back to top


Nevada County Local Emergency Proclamation

Placer County Local Emergency Proclamation

California Proclamation of a State of Emergency

Federal Emergency Declaration

Back to top






In the event of a disaster, Nevada County Office of Emergency Services recommends the following trusted information sources (aka trusted news sources).



In the event of a disaster, County of Placer recommends the following trusted information sources (aka trusted news sources).


West of the Sierra & Donner Summit

  • KAHI AM 950
  • KFBK AM 1530
  • KGBY FM 92.5
  • KNCO AM 830

East of the Sierra & Donner Summit

  • KOH AM 780
  • KOWL AM 1490
  • KRLT FM 93.9
  • KTKE FM 101.5


West of the Sierra & Donner Summit

  • KCRA Channel 3
  • KXTV Channel 10
  • KOVR Channel 13
  • KMAX Channel 31
  • KTXL Channel 40
  • KQCA Channel 58

East of the Sierra & Donner Summit

Back to top