Mosquito Wildfire Resources – Placer County

Alerts | Stay Informed | Evacuations | Transportation | Find People | Air Quality | Vision | Food | Personal Care | Utilities | Mail | Service Impacts | School Resources | Animal Supplies | Injured Wildlife | How to Help | Recovery | Information Sources

For Placer County 2-1-1

Call 2-1-1 or 1-833-342-5211 (1-833-DIAL211)

For El Dorado County 2-1-1

Call 2-1-1 within the county. Call 1-833-223-9797 if you are calling from outside the county. Visit El Dorado County’s Mosquito Fire webpage for an evacuation map, alerts, and more.



To SIGN UP for Placer Alerts online, visit

Or text your zip code, followed by a second text with the word “resume” to 88911 (This applies to new or existing subscribers. You will begin receiving Placer Alerts to your phone based on your zip code.)


See more trusted information sources here

Updates 9/25/22


Mosquito Fire Placer County Disaster Resource Village

The Disaster Resource Village brings nonprofit community service providers together in one location to assist with meeting the needs of Mosquito Fire survivors.

  • WhenMonday 9/26/22 (one day only) from 12-7pm
  • Where – 24750 Main St. Foresthill, CA 95631 (Previously the Foresthill Elementary School)

LOCAL ASSISTANCE CENTER (LAC), Old Foresthill Elementary School, 24750 Main St. Foresthill. Thursday, Sept. 22 from 12-7pm and Friday, Sept. 23 from 9am-5pm. Residents who lost their homes or need assistance with the recovery process in the Mosquito Fire are encouraged to attend the Local Assistance Center. The center will offer recovery and rebuilding information and resources from local and state agencies. A planned resource event will be held this Monday – stay tuned for details.

Typical offerings at a local assistance center include:

  • Essential document replacement
  • Property tax adjustments
  • Housing and social services
  • Grief counseling
  • Initial building services consultations
  • and more

Participating local and state agencies for 9/22-23:

  • Placer County Animal Services Division
  • Placer County Assessor’s Office
  • Placer County Building Service’s Division
  • Placer County Clerk/Recorder’s Office
  • Placer County Economic Development Office
  • Placer County Environmental Health Division
  • Placer County Human Services Division
  • Placer County Veterans Services Office
  • California Department of Housing & Community Development
  • California Department of Motor Vehicles
  • California Department of Insurance (CDI)
  • State of California Franchise Tax Board
  • State of California Employment Development Department

LAC info also in the Recovery section below.

More updates

  • Animal pick-up from Placer County Animal Services Center and the Gold Country Fairgrounds began on 9/18 and will continue throughout the week. Call Animal Services at 1-530-886-5541
  • Confirmation of structural damages for Placer County residents is available on the Mosquito Fire Structure Status map
  • Your family can receive supplies based on your needs and availability of supplies. Supplies may include clothing, toiletries, baby items, hygiene packs, food, and/or gas. Fill out your contact info on Destiny Church’s online form
  • Placer County’s Mosquito Fire Recovery webpage provides info and resources
  • Mosquito Fire survivors – sign up to receive email updates from Placer County
  • For info on county, state, and federal assistance, and other recovery related-information, please see our “Recovery” section of this webpage.


  • Ready Placer Dashboard – Current Incident info, PCSO evacuation map, road conditions, PG&E and Liberty utilities power outage maps, and Greater Tahoe region fire cameras
  • Visit Ready Placer webpage – Links to webpages for Placer County alerts, disaster preparation, current incidents, sheriff, fire department, mapping hub, upcoming wildfire town halls (in person or virtual), resources for extreme heat, power outages, air quality, wildfires, earthquakes, winter season, and links to the County’s social media channels (at bottom of webpage
  • Visit Placer County’s website: – Latest news



  • Cal Fire Mosquito Fire incident page – Info on counties impacted, acreage, containment, evacuation zones, evacuation centers for people and animals, road closures
  • See all of Cal Fire’s incidents by year and location here


Observe the location of the fire with the National Fire Situational Awareness (NFSA) Tool

View fire cameras in Greater Tahoe region at

Info on fire (acreage, containment, total personnel assigned, start date and time, cause [if known], location, total people evacuated, total structures threatened/destroyed/damaged, and more) on CalFire OR InciWeb



To see an interactive map of the evacuation area for Placer County (including incident-specific zones) view the PCSO evacuation map. Once all evacuations are lifted for each wildfire incident, PCSO no longer uses the ArcGIS map associated with the previous incident. A new map may be created for each future incident. Monitor the PCSO website and social media feeds to find where to access a current evacuation map for each incident.

  • PCSO on Facebook here
  • PCSO on Twitter; @PlacerSheriff here


Cal Fire statewide fire map & incident information here


  • Mandatory Evacuation/Evacuation Order – Immediate threat to life. This is a lawful order to leave now. The area is lawfully closed to public access.
  • Evacuation Warning – A potential threat to life and/or property. Those who require additional time to evacuate, and those with pets and livestock should leave now.
  • Advisory – A notice to be on alert and follow county recommendations.
  • Clear To Repopulate – It is safe to return to your home. Be aware of your surroundings and go through the returning home checklist.
  • Shelter In Place – An order to go indoors. Shut and lock doors and windows. Prepare to self-sustain until further notice and await contact by emergency personnel for additional direction.
  • Normal – There is no current knowledge of threats affecting your area and you may carry on with normal activity.


When Temporary Evacuation Points and Congregate Shelters are open for evacuees, locations display here:


  • Sierra College*: 5100 Sierra College Road, Rocklin, CA – Parking in Lot B (RVs are accepted), overnight shelter in cafeteria (Building J)Sierra College Map

Sierra College offers:

  • Diapers
  • Formula
  • Food
  • Toiletries
  • Feminine hygiene products
  • Cots for evacuees to sleep on
  • Quiet spaces
  • A very spacious setting
  • Childcare provided by Placer County Office of Education

* Sierra College is an American Red Cross supported shelter. Only trained service dogs are allowed at ARC shelters; no pets or emotional support animals. Documentation is not required to provide (for legal reasons) for service animals. Service Animals are considered as any breed and any size of dog that is trained to perform a task directly related to a person’s disability.


Contact Placer County Animal Control at 1-530-886-5500 (option 2 for dispatch) or 1-530-886-5375 (after hours) for evacuating animals from mandatory evacuation zones. As always, if possible, please take pets with you and use available resources such as family, friends, hotels, or boarding facilities. This leaves space at animal evacuation center(s) for animals who are in greatest need. If no other resources are available, evacuate animals to:


  • Small and large animals can receive shelter at the Gold Country Fairgrounds, 209 Fairgate Road, Auburn, CA. Enter through Gate 3 on Pleasant Avenue.

Note: No chickens/poultry due to avian flu

Update on Animals, as of Sunday, 9/18:

Gold Country Fairgrounds is open from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm for animal pick-up. Evacuated animals include dogs, horses, and livestock. Animals can be picked up at Gate 3 on Pleasant Avenue. Please check in with Animal Care staff. All cats taken from Nevada County Fairgrounds are now being sheltered at Field Haven in Lincoln (2754 Ironwood Ln, Lincoln, CA). Contact Animal Control to assist with the redemption of cats from Field Haven.

Placer County Animal Services Center is open from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm today for redemption (11232 B Avenue, Auburn, CA). All questions related to an animal’s shelter location can be confirmed by calling 1-530-886-5541.


If you need assistance with evacuating animals during a Mandatory Evacuation, please contact Placer County Animal Control at 1-530-886-5500 (Option 2 for dispatch) during regular business hours (Monday-Friday 8 am to 5 pm) or call 1-530-886-5375 after hours (on weekdays after 5 pm, weekends, and holidays): 1-530-886-5375.


If you believe that a Temporary Evacuation Point or Congregate Shelter has been established and is not yet displaying here, please visit CalFire’s website at On the top left corner of CalFire’s website, click on “Incidents.” A drop down menu will appear. Choose the current year and scroll below the fire map to see a list of incidents. The most current incidents will show at the top of the list. Choose which incident you would like to see more information on by clicking on the name of the incident. On the incident page that appears, you will find information about the percentage of containment, evacuation order zones, available shelters, and more. Continue scrolling down to see all of the information displayed.


  • IF ALL TEPs ARE CLOSED: CONTACT RED CROSS ABOUT SHELTER OPTIONS – If you are under a mandatory Evacuation Order and Temporary Evacuation Points are closed, call American Red Cross 24/7 at 1-844-236-0153.


Call 911 if you are stuck in an Evacuation ORDER zone without a way of transportation and there is an immediate threat to your life.


Call CalTrans for information on road closures and updates on road conditions: 1-800-427-7623


When people are in American Red Cross (ARC) care at shelters, ARC observes strict confidentiality and will not release names of clients.

ARC has information about Emergency! App (English and Spanish) and more here.

Tips for finding people / contacting loved ones here.



AirNow is a website for air quality data. It highlights air quality in your local area first, and also provides air quality information with state, national, and world views. An interactive map lets you zoom out to get the big picture or drill down to see data for a single air quality monitor.

AirNow website includes a Fire and Smoke Map

A Smoke Forecast is available for Placer County, Nevada County, and Tahoe-Truckee (in English and en español)


Environmental Protection Agency provides information about how to create a clean room to protect indoor air quality during a wildfire here.


To protect your lungs from smoky air, choose a mask called a particulate respirator that has the word “NIOSH” and either “N95” or “P100” printed on it. These are sold at many hardware and home repair stores and pharmacies. California Department of Public Health provides more information here.


If you’ve lost or broken your eyewear or need eye care due to a recent fire, VSP may be able to help. Visit VSP’s website for more information here.

VSP Network Doctors: Call 1-800-615-1883 to learn about resources available to you.

VSP Members: Call 1-800-877-7195.

Non-VSP Members: Contact a local Red Cross chapter (find a local Red Cross chapter here) to request a VSP Eyes of Hope Disaster Relief gift certificate. Gift certificate information is available here.



DoorDash gift cards available to those affected by the fire.


  • TSA in Auburn (286 Sutter Street, Auburn, CA 95603) is continuing its regular food distributions and can provide clothing and hygiene kits as available. Call before arriving to ask if supplies are available and to ask any other questions you may have: 1-530-889-3990 ext. 213
  • TSA in Roseville (100 Lincoln Street, Roseville, CA 95678). For info about food distributions, and utility and rental assistance for South Placer County residents, call 916-436-3784.


For a list of food distributions in Placer County, visit Placer Food Bank’s Get Food webpage.


Have you been impacted by a disaster and need food assistance or additional information on Disaster CalFresh or general CalFresh emergency response efforts?

Contact Placer County Human Services:

  • Toll free: 1-888-385-5160
  • Hotline: 1-888-886-5401
  • Business Line: 1-916-784-6000

If you are a current CalFresh recipient affected by the disaster you may be eligible to receive replacement benefits for food bought with CalFresh that was lost as a result of a disaster. Replacement must be requested within 10 days of the disaster. Please contact Placer County for additional information on how to request supplemental disaster benefits or use the following link to apply:

If you are not a CalFresh recipient affected by the disaster, you may meet the household eligibility requirements for CalFresh. You can apply online at, via phone at 1-888-385-5160, or visit one of Placer County’s office locations (in Auburn, Rocklin, or Lake Tahoe).

As of Thursday, 9/15/22,

Mosquito Fire – CalFresh

Individuals who are recipients of CalFresh that were evacuated due to the Mosquito Fire may be eligible for replacement CalFresh benefits due to loss of food. Recipients of CalFresh who were displaced by the fire are encouraged to go to a Placer County Human Services office or to call 1-888-385-5160. Please report the loss to the county on or prior to October 6, 2022.


If power was out for several hours or more and your perishables were above the recommended temperature of 41°F for more than 4 hours, these items are considered unsafe to eat and should be disposed of at a designated drop-off location. A collection site is available for residents who are returning home and need to dispose of spoiled food ONLY (no other materials). Please do not dump fire-damaged materials and avoid leaving food beside the bins to help keep animals away.

Spoiled Food Collection Sites

Foresthill Transfer Station – 6699 Patent Rd, Foresthill, CA – open on Thursday, 9/22, from 8 am – 5:00 pm to receive spoiled food only and will resume normal operations starting Friday, 9/23 from 8 am – 5:00 pm

Auburn Transfer Station – 12305 Shale Ridge Rd, Auburn, CA, 8 am – 4:45 pm daily

More info about food safety after a fire here.



In declared emergencies, pharmacies should refill prescriptions for residents displaced because of emergency evacuation by law. The California State Board of Pharmacy outlines this in its formal policy.

Red Cross

If you or a loved one is seeking assistance from Red Cross, call 1-855-755-7711. Red Cross volunteers are providing info to assist with a recovery plan. This may include:

  • Directions to locations providing wildfire kits
  • Disaster Health services
  • Disaster Mental Health
  • Disaster Spiritual Care
  • Local Assistance Centers
  • Individual financial assistance (if eligible)*

A Red Cross Recovery Team will be at the Local Assistance Centers as they get set up. Red Cross will provide fire kits, water, clean-up kits, and case management to local families.

* Families with significant damage to their homes are eligible. Those with smoke damage or under mandatory evacuation only (with no significant damage to their homes) are not eligible for financial assistance. However, Red Cross Health Services, Mental Health, and Spiritual Care services are available to support.

Health Care

Online, 24/7 at no cost

As of 9/12: Anthem Blue Cross has extended Live Health Online (LHO) to all community members regardless of insurance status. Once the community member creates an account they can access urgent care or behavioral health services under the “help for wildfires” tab. This will remain in effect throughout the state of emergency. If you need help using LiveHealth Online, call 1-888-548-3432 (1-888-Live-Health) or TTY 711. Info here.

Family Supplies

Your family can receive supplies based on your needs and availability of supplies. Supplies may include clothing, toiletries, baby items, hygiene packs, food, and/or gas. Fill out your contact info. (name, phone, email) on this online form and schedule a time on the calendar to pick up your supplies at 2620 Sunset Boulevard, Rocklin, CA. You will be contacted by Destiny Church after completing the form and you will receive a text message reminder before your appointment (if your phone allows text messaging). Once you have booked your appointment at Destiny Threads in Rocklin, you will have the ability to cancel your appointment. Contact Destiny Church at 1-916-780-2273.


Contact PCSO to alert about propane or gas left ON:

If your address has propane or gas running and you left during a Mandatory Evacuation, please notify Placer County Sheriff’s Office on their Non-Emergency line at 1-530-886-5375.

Contact PG&E to:

  • Ask about bill payment assistance
  • Immediately stop service
  • Learn more about power restoration, financial support, and the rebuilding process

Call Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) at 1-800-743-5000 or visit PG&E’s Wildfire Recovery Support webpage for more information.

Contact Liberty Utilities:

Liberty Utilities has implemented an Emergency Disaster Relief Program. Find more information here or call Liberty’s 24 hour Customer Service Center at 1-800-782-2506. For emergencies, such as downed power lines and outages, call 9-1-1 and then call Liberty Utilities at 1-844-245-6868.

Contact Truckee Donner Public Utility District:

Call Truckee Donner PUD’s 24 hour phone line at 1-530-587-3896.


Placer County residents who have evacuated due to the Mosquito Fire (from Foresthill, Georgetown, and Greenwood): Your mail is being held at the USPS office at 371 Nevada St., Auburn, CA. Once you get to the office, go to the pick-up line and bring your identification. The address on your ID MUST match the address of the mail you are trying to pick up. USPS is asking that residents pick up their mail as often as they can (daily is preferable).


Impacts on service operations are listed below. Please note that this list is subject to change.


  • Optumserve at 10990 Donner Pass Rd, Truckee, CA (across the street from Tahoe Forest Hospital) is CLOSED on 9/9/22 due to smoke.
  • Foresthill Transfer Station – Temporary Closure – Due to current hazardous conditions, the Foresthill Transfer Station will be closed starting Friday, September 9. Normal operations will resume as soon as it is safe to do so.
  • Seniors First is not delivering Meals on Wheels in areas affected by evacuations. Seniors First is communicating with clients to provide more information.



Placer County Office of Education (PCOE) is available to assist local students, families, and school employees impacted by the Mosquito Fire by connecting them to resources such as housing, shelter, food, basic needs, and childcare referrals. Complete the online form for support:


  • Foresthill High School – going forward – students may convene at the new Learning Commons at Placer High School (275 Orange St, Auburn, CA) at 8:30 am to have access to nutrition, mental health support, resources, and ability to reconnect with their peers and community.
  • Foresthill Divide Elementary School – Tue. 9/13 – students are invited to join their teachers at the PSA campus at 3775 Richardson Dr. in Auburn. Students will have access to meals and mental health support and engage in meaningful activities.
  • Tahoe Truckee Unified School District – Tue. 9/13 – closed due to anticipated hazardous air quality


Placer SPCA is offering free pet food and supplies to evacuees impacted by the Mosquito Fire. Pick-up is at Placer SPCA Community Room, Adoption & Education Center (200 Tahoe Avenue, Roseville, CA 95678) on Wed 9/21/22 from 11 am to 4 pm. You must show proof of residency and no appointment is necessary.


Contact Wildlife Disaster Network for Search & Rescue of Injured Wildlife at 1-800-942-6459. Alternate Affiliate Contact: Gold Country Wildlife Rescue at 1-530-885-0862 extension 1. (Please leave your contact name and phone number(s) at the start of your voice message. This will initiate an immediate text to the Director of Wildlife Care.) The Wildlife Disaster Network is a partnership between the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife that leads a network of veterinarians, biologists, and wildlife rehabilitation specialists to assist with the search and rescue of wildlife injured in disaster zones.



Donate to PCF’s Mosquito Fire Relief Fund here.


Do you want to help? The American Red Cross is accepting donations and is in need of new volunteers to help us respond to the wildfires.

  • Volunteer information here.
  • Donations are accepted here.

ARC Donations:

To donate by phone or to get assistance with your donation, please contact the American Red Cross at 1-800-HELP NOW (1-800-435-7669). Available in English or Español. For a TDD Operator, contact 1-800-220-4095.

The American National Red Cross is registered as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Contributions are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. The Red Cross’ tax identification number is 53-0196605.


Mosquito Fire-specific donations:

Donations can be dropped off daily from 9 am to 4 pm at Placer SPCA Adoption & Education Center (200 Tahoe Avenue, Roseville, CA). Info on what donation items are accepted and more here.

For donations and volunteer opportunities:

*Mail/delivery is preferred versus dropoff donations to avoid congestion at the Animal Services Center and potential impacts to operations. Please email to be placed on a contact list of volunteers.


Our partners at the Salvation Army may also be accepting donations. Contact your nearest TSA to inquire.




County of Placer

Sign up to receive Mosquito Fire email updates from the County here. You may also monitor social media channels. Find links by visiting our Trusted Info. Sources.

Our 211 Contact Center is available 24/7, every day of the year. If you’d like to speak to a live person about information and resources in Placer County that may be able to help support your recovery, call 211 or 1-833-342-5211.


  • FEMA’s Recovering from Disaster guide offers advice for you and your family on safety, health, and mental well-being after a disaster. This guide offers tips about returning home, seeking help, coping, and helping others.
  • FEMA’s Helping Children Cope with Disaster booklet offers parents, caregivers, and other adults suggestions on how to help children cope with the effects of disaster, as well as how to be prepared before a disaster strikes.


Old Foresthill Elementary School (24750 Main St., Foresthill, CA) on Thursday, 9/22, from 12-7 pm and Friday, 9/23, from 9 am-5 pm. Residents who lost their homes or need assistance with the recovery process in the Mosquito Fire are encouraged to attend our Local Assistance Center. The center will offer recovery and rebuilding info and resources from local and state agencies. Typical offerings at a local assistance center include:

  • Essential document replacement
  • Property tax adjustments
  • Housing and social services
  • Grief counseling
  • Initial building services consultations
  • and more

Participating local and state agencies for 9/22-23:

  • Placer County Animal Services Division
  • Placer County Assessor’s Office
  • Placer County Building Service’s Division
  • Placer County Clerk/Recorder’s Office
  • Placer County Economic Development Office
  • Placer County Environmental Health Division
  • Placer County Human Services Division
  • Placer County Veterans Services Office
  • California Department of Housing & Community Development
  • California Department of Motor Vehicles
  • California Department of Insurance (CDI)
  • State of California Franchise Tax Board
  • State of California Employment Development Department


Old Foresthill Elementary School (24750 Main Street, Foresthill, CA) on Monday, 9/26, from noon to 7 pm. Additional resources and support will be provided by Placer County nonprofits who will be available in person. The Disaster Resource Village is hosted by the California Office of Emergency Services. The American Red Cross will provide dinner at 5 pm.

Info on Placer County’s Local Assistance Center and Disaster Resources Village updates are on Placer County’s Local Assistance Center webpage.


Some evacuation zones have been cleared for repopulation. Monitor the Placer County Sheriff’s Office evacuation map to identify whether you may return home. Some zones may require proof of residency. Follow directions from officers at the scene. For mandatory evacuation zones that are still in effect, there is no timeline for repopulation and no ability for residents to retrieve property from evacuation zones at this time.

See resources at Cal Fire’s Post Wildfire: Returning Home and Rebuilding webpages. Cal Fire’s Returning Home webpage includes safety tips. Cal Fire’s Rebuilding webpage includes information on what to do before cleaning up following a wildfire, and key considerations for determining which approach to use (such as a government-run debris removal program). Also, see Cal Fire’s Returning Home after a Wildfire checklist.

Please read Placer County’s Hazards Advisory.

Contact Placer County Environmental Health to ensure that your property is declared clear of hazardous waste and structural ash and debris.

  • Auburn: 530-745-2300 or
  • Tahoe: 530-581-6240 or

For current emergency information, visit the Placer County Office of Emergency Services (OES) Current Emergency Information webpage.


Complete a Right of Entry (ROE) permit application here. Property Owners must complete a Right of Entry Permit Application for Debris and/or Hazard Tree Removal on Private Property as well as provide necessary paperwork (as outlined in the application) to enroll in the Government’s Consolidated Debris Removal program. Only submit one application per property.


If you would like to withdraw from the Consolidated Debris Removal program, contact Placer County Environmental Health at 1-530-745-2300 or to obtain an ROE withdrawal form. You can submit an ROE withdrawal form after submission of your ROE permit application if you’ve changed your decision. ROE withdrawal forms must be received prior to commencement of debris removal on your property. ROE withdrawal forms may take up to 3 business days to process.


PLEASE DO NOT begin debris removal before contacting County officials: Environmental Health and Building Services. Cleaning up prior to contacting your insurance company could result in a loss of insurance claims. If you start to clean up before contacting County officials, you may also become ineligible for types of financial support. There is also information about how to safely dispose of debris that you can be made aware of. Placer County is available to help advise you on these matters.


From US Forest Service


The Damage Inspections Report (DINS) for Placer County is now complete. The report highlights the results of the inspection of every structure within the perimeter of the Mosquito fire in Placer County. Confirmation of structural damages for Placer County residents is now available on the Mosquito Fire Structure Status map.


If your house is damaged or destroyed there is financial assistance available through the local Red Cross.

  • Call your local Red Cross at 1-855-755-7711. You will be asked to provide official documents for identification purposes (Including your name and address). If you’ve lost your identity documents, please allow for extra time as the process will take longer.
  • If you know for certain that you have lost your home in a disaster, call the American Red Cross at 1-844-236-0153 any time, 24/7. ARC can open a case file and there may be resources available through ARC to help.

There are two options for receiving cash from your local Red Cross, as follows:

Option 1) Applicants receive Red Cross funds online (sent to an applicant’s email). For this option, you will need an email address and access to a device with internet.

Option 2) Applicants can choose to go to a Walmart location to pick up cash. Identity and address documentation is required. Bring any paperwork you have that can identify you as well as your address that was impacted.


If you are a resident who lost your home or experienced fire damage to your home or property, contact the California Department of Insurance (CDI) and your insurance agent before removing anything or doing any clean-up on your property. Cleaning up prior to contacting your insurance company could result in a loss of insurance claims.

See the CDI’s Top 10 Tips for Wildfire Claimants.

To get help with understanding your insurance policy and what your options are, contact United Policyholders (email: or attend one of their virtual meetings. Visit


Residents who have been ordered to evacuate due to wildfires may have homeowner’s or renter’s insurance coverage to help with evacuation and relocation costs, even if their homes are not damaged or destroyed. Additional Living Expense coverage, known as ALE, typically includes food and housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage, and extra transportation expenses. Residents are urged to keep all receipts accrued during the evacuation and to contact their insurance company to start the claims process.


Senate Bill 824 (2018) requires a mandatory one-year moratorium on insurance companies cancelling or non-renewing residential insurance policies in certain areas within or adjacent to a fire perimeter after a declared state of emergency is issued by the Governor.

9/8/22 Moratorium Declaration for the Mosquito Fire (and others in California) . Mosquito Fire ZIP codes covered: 95603, 95614, 95631, 95633, 95634, 95635, 95667, 95701, 95709, 95713, 95714, 95715, 95717, 95724, 95726, 96141, 96145, 96146


The USPS holds mail for people affected by evacuations. Delivery will resume when evacuation orders are lifted. People can collect mail at any time at the Post Office by presenting a picture ID.


As a VA beneficiary, you should be aware of the assistance available to you in the event of a natural disaster. This includes protections for your VA home loan, automotive grant, school attendance, and VA benefit payments. Learn more here.

  • VA Home Loan Guidance on Natural Disasters here.
  • Cal Vet Resource Book here.
  • Cal Fresh Replacement Benefit Information here.
  • Placer County Veterans Service Office Information here.
  • Find your nearest VA Benefits office here.


The National Disaster Distress Helpline is a multilingual, confidential helpline that offers crisis support services available to all U.S. disaster survivors or responders, 24/7, 365 days a year. To connect with a trained counselor:

  • Call 1-800-985-5990
  • Text 66746
  • For Spanish speaking callers, call 1-800-985-5990 and dial 2 for 24/7 bilingual support.

For more information, including access for anyone who is deaf/hard of hearing or a Spanish speaker, please visit SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress webpage here.


Disaster Legal Assistance Collaborative (DLAC) is a collaborative of nonprofits, law firms, legal aid, and government organizations that work together to provide free legal services to disaster survivors. Services are open to all, regardless of immigration status.

  • DLAC flyer
    • Includes common disaster legal issues in a list, services that DLAC provides, DLAC members, volunteer info, and how to contact DLAC
  • DLAC Hotline: 1-888-382-3406 and an informational flyer on what is offered by the DLAC hotline here
  • DLAC is available to assist you with clearing the title to your property. FEMA is required by law to verify a survivor’s home occupancy or ownership before it provides certain types of assistance. Find answers to frequently asked questions about title clearing here
  • DLAC website provides info and resources about common legal issues that occur after a disaster. Visit

Volunteer opportunities are available! Sign up here

CA Free Legal Answers has volunteer attorneys who can help you with civil legal matters that are a result of a natural disaster. An attorney can tell you about your rights and help you make a plan of action. This is available to low-income adults (18+) that reside in California, regardless of immigration status. More info. on flyer or


Mosquito Fire Incident recovery resources for businesses in Placer County –

Placer Business Resource Center is available for in-person and virtual interactions to support your business. Visit the BRC website at, email, or call 1-916-770-8380. You may also sign up for emails on Mosquito Fire Business Recovery Updates or sign up to receive BRC newsletters.

Sierra Business Council SBDC provides business disaster recovery guidance at no cost. Contact Sierra Business Council by email at or sign up online at

Sacramento Metro Chamber has business disaster recovery professionals ready to help your business at no cost. Contact the Metro Chamber by email at, sign up online at Business – MetroBusiness Center, or call 1-833-391-1919.


Federal – On September 9, 2022, California Governor Gavin Newsom secures federal assistance to support the response to the Mosquito Fire burning in Placer and El Dorado Counties. Info. from California Office of Emergency Services here. A Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) is offered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to help ensure the availability of vital resources to suppress the Mosquito Fire. Info. on FMAG from CA Governor here and FEMA here.

State – On September 8, 2022, California Governor Gavin Newsom proclaims a State of Emergency in Placer and El Dorado counties due to Mosquito Fire. More info. here.

Federal – On August 24, 2021, President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. approves California Disaster Declaration. The President’s action makes Federal aid available to affected individuals in the counties of Lassen, Nevada, Placer, and Plumas. In the State of California, Federal aid is to supplement State, tribal, and local recovery efforts in areas affected by wildfires beginning on July 14, 2021, and continuing. Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of a disaster. Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures statewide. For more information on the California Disaster Declaration visit the White House’s Statement and Releases webpage here.

Residents and business owners who sustained losses in the designated counties can apply for assistance by the following means:

  • Register online at
  • Call FEMA’s Helpline at 1-800-621-3362 (1-800-621-FEMA)
  • If you are hearing and speech impaired and use a text telephone (TTY), dial 1-800-462-7585
  • If you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), use the toll-free FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-3362

Toll-free telephone lines will operate from 7 am to 10 pm (local Pacific Standard Time) seven days a week until further notice. If you have questions or comments about FEMA disaster assistance, email

State of California – Office of Emergency Services

  • Cal OES information here.
  • 2021 Current Incidents here.


Property Tax Relief – Property owners that have been impacted by the Mosquito Fire may be eligible for tax relief. Information on how to apply for a temporary reduction in property taxes can be found here.



  • Cal Fire’s incident page here
  • Cal Fire’s Twitter feed; @CALFIRENEU
  • Cal Fire’s Facebook here




West of the Sierra & Donner Summit

  • KAHI AM 950
  • KFBK AM 1530
  • KGBY FM 92.5
  • KNCO AM 830

East of the Sierra & Donner Summit

  • KOH AM 780
  • KOWL AM 1490
  • KRLT FM 93.9


West of the Sierra & Donner Summit

  • KCRA Channel 3
  • KXTV Channel 10
  • KOVR Channel 13
  • KMAX Channel 31
  • KTXL Channel 40
  • KQCA Channel 58

East of the Sierra & Donner Summit

  • KOLO Channel 8
  • KRNV Channel 4
  • KTVN Channel 2

Return to the top of this webpage