Winter Weather Resources 2023-2024

Immediate Needs | Recovery | Alerts | Weather | Road Conditions & Closures | Stay Informed | Outage Maps | Nevada County | Placer County | Winter Weather Tips | Food Distributions | Food Safety | Medications | Utilities | Mental Health | Families | How to Help | Emergency Proclamations | Trusted Information Sources

Call 911

for a life-threatening emergency, downed power lines, or if you smell natural gas or propane

Or text to 911

  • Nevada County – You can call or text 9-1-1 for emergencies. Some cell phone service providers may not yet have text to 9-1-1 enabled in Nevada County.
  • Placer County – You can call or text 9-1-1 for emergencies.

Contact 211 for other information

  • Call 2-1-1 or 833-342-5211 (833-DIAL211)
  • Text your zip code to 898211 to connect with a live call agent

County “Current Incidents” pages provide info about road closures, shelters, power outages, transit, and more

Back to top


  • Call 9-1-1 for life-threatening emergencies.
  • For downed power lines, call 9-1-1, then call your electricity service provider
    • PG&E, 877-660-6789 or 800-743-5000 – PG&E serves most of Nevada and Placer Counties, including the communities of Soda Springs and Norden near Truckee. Pioneer Community Energy overlays PG&E service area. Pioneer customers: your energy comes on PG&E poles and wires, so for this purpose you are also PG&E.
    • Truckee Donner Public Utility District, 530-587-3896 – TDPUD serves the Town of Truckee and some surrounding areas with power from NV Energy.
    • Liberty Utilities, 844-245-6868 – Liberty Utilities serves some Truckee addresses and surrounding areas.
    • Roseville Electric, 916-797-6937 – Roseville Electric serves people within the city limits of Roseville.
  • For downed trees on public roadways, see Report Downed Trees sections below.
  • For emergency home damage situations, downed trees, snow removal on private property, see Recovery section below.
  • There are no established free or low-cost programs in Nevada or Placer Counties to assist private property owners or renters with tree removal, snow plows, or other snow removal from their driveways, walkways, or other parts of their property. Private property includes mobile home parks, apartment complexes, and developments with Home Owners Associations (HOAs). People requiring help can see if family, friends, or neighbors can lend a hand, or hire private contractors.
  • PG&E Outage Map – Includes plug icons marking any locations of Community Resource Centers for charging devices, etc. Click on the plug icons for addresses and available services at each location.
  • Sand & sandbags
    • Western Nevada CountySAND ONLY. While supply lasts. Bring your own bags and shovel.
    • Western Placer County – Check web page for phone numbers to call to check availability.
    • Tahoe Truckee area – Location TBA if activated.
  • There are currently no firewood or kindling distribution locations. Gold Country Senior Services Senior Firewood program is full and closed for the 2023-2024 season.
  • There are currently no emergency delivery services for medications. Ask family, friends, or your pharmacy if they can deliver.
  • There are currently no mobile shower or laundry facilities.
  • Mental health988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. When people call, text, or chat 988, they will be connected to trained counselors that are part of the Lifeline network. These trained counselors will listen, understand how their problems are affecting them, provide support, and connect them to resources if necessary. See more mental health resources below at MENTAL HEALTH and FAMILIES sections.

211 is reporting community needs to the County and the Office of Emergency Services throughout the day. If new resources become available, information will be posted on this page. If you have a life or death situation, call 911.

Back to top


COUNTY OF NEVADA – Links to recovery info for Nevada County will be added here.

COUNTY OF PLACER – Links to recovery info for Placer County will be added here.

CITIES & TOWNS – Links to recovery info for specific communities will be added here.


  • Recovery information from Cal OES (California Office of Emergency Services) will be added here, including FEMA info for any counties covered by federal disaster declaration, tax relief info, contractor info, philanthropic efforts, and more.
  • CalOES Disaster Recovery ResourcesResource Hub – Federal, state, and local resources are available to help disaster survivors and their families.


  • Price Gouging – County officials are advising residents to be wary of people price gouging during the storm emergency. Residents in Lake Tahoe are reporting quotes of up to $20,000 to remove snow from roofs. This is against the law during a state of emergency. To report price gouging, contact the Placer County District Attorney’s Office by email at or the state Attorney General’s Office online or by phone at 800-952-5225. 


  • NEVADA & PLACER COUNTY Private Property Recovery – People can search for and contact independent contractors through the Contractors State License Board (CSLB). See web page called Hire a Contractor. Or seek recommendations from family and friends, do a web search, etc.
  • NEVADA COUNTY Private Property Recovery – In addition to the CSLB, Nevada County residents can search for and contact independent contractors through the Nevada County Contractors Association. At “Find a Contractor” search on “tree service”, “snow removal”, etc. Or seek recommendations from family and friends, do a web search, etc. Cecil Construction Inc is an NCCA member and is open 24/7/365 for emergency home services. 530-274-1516, Contractors will charge fees for their services.
  • There are no established nonprofit or County programs to assist individual property owners with tree cleanup and tree removal after a storm or wildfire. If widespread need becomes profound, steps may be taken to arrange some kind of assistance, such as green waste disposal events.
  • Fire Safe Council of Nevada County has programs that can help with vegetation management.
    • Chipping Program – The Fire Safe Council of Nevada County will chip brush that is cleared from defensible space of any permanent structure, and/or 30’ from any roadside or driveway used for evacuation purposes. The chipping service is limited to 4 hours per customer per application and requests a donation of $75/hr.
    • Defensible Space Clearing Service – Landowners can request a quote for services from the Fire Safe Council. A member of their team will assess the desired work and formulate a reduced cost estimate that will help the landowner gain defensible space at the lowest rate possible while still supporting The Fire Safe Council of Nevada County and its programs.
    • Access & Functional Needs ProgramFor information & Application Click Here or call 530-446-1124. Low-income residents who are either 65+ or disabled are eligible for free defensible space clearing services within 100′ of their homes. Applicants should be prepared to supply proof of residency, medical disability, and income. Income qualifications are based on HUD/HCD criteria. Staff is available to help answer questions or assist with paperwork.
    • Free Residential Green Waste Disposal Days – Fire Safe Council of Nevada County usually offers Free Residential Green Waste Disposal Days in collaboration with the County of Nevada Office of Emergency Services and CAL FIRE at 12625 Brunswick Rd, Grass Valley, CA 95945. Details of any green waste disposal events will be added here.


  • If you get storm damage to your home or property, contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
  • You may find helpful information at the California Department of Insurance (CDI) website.
  • United Policyholders is a non-profit consumer organization and trusted resource helping disaster survivors with insurance issues for more than 30 years. They offer free webinars, and you can view recordings of prior ones on topics of relevance to your situation. Questions? Email
  • PG&E
    • Storm Inconvenience Payment – If you are a residential customer who has gone without power for at least 48 hours because of severe storm conditions, you may qualify for an automatic payment under PG&E’s Storm Inconvenience Payment program. This program provides a payment which PG&E pays automatically about 60 days following the storm outage. Do not submit a claim form to get a Storm Inconvenience Payment.
    • File a claim – You may submit a claim if you believe that PG&E caused a loss for which you should be compensated. You can make this type of claim using various methods, but online is the fastest way for PG&E to process it.
  • California Department of Housing and Community Development may be able to help mobile home or manufactured homeowners whose homes were damaged or destroyed in a California natural disaster such as a wildfire, earthquake, flood, or storm. Details in this flyer.


  • Legal Services of Northern California (LSNC) can help address many legal issues that arise after a natural disaster. Free legal services are available to low-income individuals and seniors (aged 60+). Legal Services of Northern California,, 530-823-7560. Specific areas of help are: government assistance/disaster related benefits; replacement prescriptions or medical equipment; housing and renter rights; job/employment impacts; mortgage lender disaster questions; legal requirements during rebuilding; other disaster related expenses; replace legal documents lost in disaster.
  • Disaster Legal Assistance Collaborative (DLAC) is a collaborative of nonprofits, law firms, legal aid, and government organizations that work together to provide free legal services to disaster survivors. Services are open to all, regardless of immigration status.
    • DLAC Hotline: 888-382-3406. Can answer questions about disaster related landlord and tenant issues, insurance, FEMA, consumer issues, disaster related benefits, employment safety, etc.
    • DLAC is available to assist you with clearing the title to your property. FEMA is required by law to verify a survivor’s home occupancy or ownership before it provides certain types of assistance. Find answers to frequently asked questions about title clearing.
    • Volunteer opportunities are available. Sign up.
  • CA Free Legal Answers has volunteer attorneys who can help you with civil legal matters that are a result of a natural disaster. An attorney can tell you about your rights and help you make a plan of action. This is available to low-income adults (18+) that reside in California, regardless of immigration status. More info at


  • In event of disaster, County web pages with financial recovery resources will be added here.
  • Some people may be eligible for regular Unemployment Insurance if the Governor declares a state of emergency. Some people may be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance.
  • County Assessor’s offices may be able to assist with property tax relief.
  • Californians impacted by winter storms may be eligible to claim a deduction for a disaster loss and may have more time to file their taxes.
  • Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) – Federal disaster declarations may make resources available to government agencies and some community organizations for disaster response, and to individuals and families. People who have insurance must work with their insurance company before being possibly eligible to apply to FEMA. A federal disaster declaration is necessary for FEMA to initiate any response.

Back to top




  • To sign up for an UNMANAGED (or “Guest”) account, call 2-1-1 or 833-342-5211 (833-DIAL211) if you’d like assistance.
  • Create a MANAGED account, or a create a Guest account on your own. A managed account allows you to modify your existing notification settings and contact information. You may also customize the types of notifications you receive and add an additional address.
  • For more information on CodeRed Alerts, please contact 2-1-1.


  • SIGN UP for Placer Alerts online at
  • Or text your zip code, followed by a second text with the word “resume” to 88911 (This applies to new or existing subscribers. You will begin receiving Placer Alerts to your phone based on your zip code.)

TAHOE ALERTSFind out which emergency alert system to sign up for in the Tahoe and Truckee areas


Back to top


Back to top


Back to top


Trusted information sources providing current updates can be found at the bottom of this webpage.

Back to top



  • PG&EPacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) serves most of Nevada and Placer Counties, including the communities of Soda Springs and Norden near Truckee. 800-743-5002
  • Roseville ElectricRoseville Electric serves people within the city limits of Roseville. 916-797-6937
  • Liberty UtilitiesLiberty Utilities serves some Truckee addresses and surrounding areas. 844-245-6868
  • Truckee Donner Public Utility DistrictTruckee Donner Public Utility District serves the Town of Truckee and some surrounding areas with power from NV Energy. 530-587-3896

If you do not know who provides your electricity, contact the utility companies above.

Back to top




  • People experiencing homelessness who need shelter can call 2-1-1 for information about possible options.


Find Nevada County Library locations and hours. When activated as PG&E Community Resource Centers, hours may be extended. Services provided include:

  • Heat
  • Power and charging station
  • Internet


For updates on Nevada County services, closures, etc, go to

Tips to prepare for inbound storms
• When there have already been snow storms, many structures may be under a large amount of stress from snow load. Check for cracks in walls, sagging floors, displaced columns, cracking or dropping arches, bulging walls, or water/smoke that pushes through masonry. Structures with low-sloped or flat roofs, manufactured homes, carports, trellises, and patio covers may be more susceptible to increased snow loads. If you observe any of these items and are concerned about your structure’s safety, consider contacting your local contractors’ association for a list of local and reliable licensed contractors. Call 911 if there is a life-threatening emergency.
• Check in with neighbors, especially those without power or vehicle access.
• Avoid flooded roads, and never try to drive across a flooded road. Be aware of flooding concerns along waterways and low-lying areas.
• Secure household items that may blow away in high winds. Use sandbags to mitigate flooding on your property.
• Stay tuned to trusted news sources.
• Report down trees or issues on County maintained roads.
• Report sewer overflows, spills, or flashing lights at wastewater facilities to help prevent or address spills. Do not open sewer cleanouts or break pipes to drain stormwater.
• Find storm information and local resources by dialing 211 or 833-342-5211 (833-DIAL211). If it’s an emergency, please call 9-1-1.



The following information is for PUBLIC ROADWAYS ONLY (no government or free/low-cost services are currently available for private property)

In Unincorporated Nevada County:

  • For urgent issues, such as a tree blocking a public road, report during business hours, M-F, 8 am-5 pm, by calling Public Works at 530-265-1411, or after hours call Sheriff’s Dispatch at 530-265-1471
  • Non-emergency concerns for public roadways, report through the County’s Service Request Tool at

In the City of Grass Valley, Nevada City, or the Town of Truckee:


Service updates on WM’s facebook page or go to to download the My WM app to stay informed.

Back to top



Visit Placer County’s webpage at


People experiencing homelessness who need shelter can call 2-1-1 for information about possible options


In Unincorporated Placer County

  • To report downed trees and limbs or road flooding and hazards, contact Roads Division at 530-745-7565 or They may or may not be able to assist as private roads, state highways, and city streets and roads are not maintained by Placer County.

In City Limits of Auburn, Colfax, Lincoln, Loomis, Rocklin, Roseville

  • Auburn City of Auburn Planning & Public Works. During business hours, M-F, 8am-5pm, call 530-823-4205. After hours call Auburn Police Department at 530-823-4237.
  • Colfax City of Colfax Public Works. Call 530-346-2313 any time. Number routes to on-call crew after business hours and on weekends.
  • Lincoln City of Lincoln Public Works. During business hours, M-F, 8am-5pm, call 916-434-2450. After hours call Lincoln Police Department at 916-645-4040.
  • Loomis Town of Loomis Public Works. During business hours, M-F, 8am-5pm, call Loomis Town Hall at 916-652-1840. After hours call 911.
  • Rocklin City of Rocklin Public Services. During business hours, M-F, 7:30am-4pm call 916-625-5500. After hours call Rocklin Police Department at 916-625-5400.
  • Roseville City of Roseville Public Works. During business hours, M-F, 7am-3:30pm call 916-774-5790. After hours call Roseville Police Department at 916-774-5000. If there is a power line down, stay away and call 911 immediately. Please report any trees in power lines to Roseville Electric at 916-797-6937.


Placer County:

Local drainage concerns information (including who to contact for your location) is available at You may also view, download, or print out the Watch Out for Water pamphlet (PDF). Find info. on Placer County’s Floodplain Management Program, administered through the Department of Public Works, at

City of Roseville:

Our creeks continue to handle the amount of rain and runoff effectively. Roseville creek levels can be monitored at DO NOT walk or drive past barricades or signs warning of flooded areas. To report localized street flooding or road hazards, call Roseville Public Works at (916) 774-5790 during normal business hours. After hours or on weekends, call (916) 774-5000 x 1.


If you believe your home is subject to flooding, Placer County encourages you to prepare your home ahead of time with commercially available options. In the event that the National Weather Service (NWS) has forecast severe flooding in Placer County, sand and sandbags may be available from government sources for residents’ use to protect their houses and property. Phone numbers are listed to check availability. If you live within city limits, please contact your city first for information about sand and sandbags.

Sand is available at various locations throughout the county. Please refer to the County’s Sandbag Locations Map or Sandbag Locations web page.


Placer County’s stormwater quality program goals are as follows:

  • To reduce pollutants in stormwater runoff
  • Eliminate non-stormwater discharges
  • Lessen the long-term impacts of stormwater discharges from development, business, and municipal activities
  • Educate the public about stormwater impacts

For more info., visit or call 530-745-7503 (open M-F, 8 am to 5 pm). Please email water quality concerns to


Placer County offers green waste disposal options to help you clean up your yard. Placer recycling facilities chip green waste for use as mulch or compost, keeping the material out of the landfill.

Back to top


Listos CaliforniaSafety guides in many languages – before, during, and after FLOODS

American Red CrossHow to keep water pipes from freezing and how to thaw them if they do freeze

Storm Safety Tips from PG&E 

  • PG&E encourages customers to have a plan, prepare for power outages and above all else, stay safe.
  • Customers can get updates on outages in their neighborhood through a variety of channels.
  • Contact the outage information line at 800-743-5002
  • Access the Electric Outage Map online at
  • PG&E customers can also log-in to their account through and sign up to receive proactive outage alerts through email, text or phone.
  • Never touch downed wires: If you see a downed power line, assume it is energized and extremely dangerous. Do not touch or try to move it and keep children and animals away. Report downed power lines immediately by calling 9-1-1 and then PG&E at 800-743-5002. 
  • Use flashlights, not candles: During a power outage, use battery-operated flashlights, and not candles, due to the risk of fire. And keep extra batteries on hand. If you must use candles, please keep them away from drapes, lampshades, animals, and small children. Do not leave candles unattended. 
  • Have a backup phone: If you have a telephone system that requires electricity to work, such as a cordless phone or answering machine, plan to have a standard telephone or cellular phone ready as a backup. Having a portable charging device helps to keep your cell phone running.
  • Have fresh drinking water, ice: Freeze plastic containers filled with water to make blocks of ice that can be placed in your refrigerator/freezer during an outage to prevent foods from spoiling. Blue Ice from your picnic cooler also works well in the freezer. 
  • Secure outdoor furniture: Deck furniture, lightweight yard structures, and decorative lawn items should be secured as they can be blown by high winds and damage overhead power lines and property. 
  • Use generators safely: Customers with standby electric generators should ensure they are properly installed by a licensed electrician in a well-ventilated area. Improperly installed generators pose a significant danger to customers, as well as crews working on power lines. If using portable generators, be sure they are in a well-ventilated area. 
  • Turn off appliances: If you experience an outage, unplug or turn off all electrical appliances to avoid overloading circuits and to prevent fire hazards when power is restored. Simply leave a single lamp on to alert you when power returns. Turn your appliances back on one at a time when conditions return to normal. 
  • Safely clean up: After the storm has passed, be sure to safely clean up. Never touch downed wires and always call 8-1-1 or visit at least two full business days before digging to have all underground utilities safely marked. 

Winter Driving Tips from PG&E 

  • Streetlights: At night, the streets will be much darker than usual and will look different. Follow all posted speed limits – or drive a bit slower. Use turn signals when changing lanes and especially at corners with crosswalks.
  • Traffic Signals: If traffic signals are out or flashing red, come to a full stop at every intersection, and proceed as you would at a four-way stop.
  • Keep emergency gear in your car when you’re traveling in areas with snow and ice, including:
    • Cell phone
    • Flashlights
    •  Jumper cables
    • Sand or kitty litter (for traction)
    • Ice scraper or snow brush
    • Blankets
    • Warning devices (such as flares or reflectors)

If your vehicle comes in contact with a downed power line (Tips from PG&E):

  • Stay inside! The safest place is in your car. The ground around your car may be energized.
  • Honk the horn, roll down your window and yell for help.
  • Warn others to stay away. Anyone who touches the equipment or ground around the vehicle may be injured.
  • Use your mobile phone to call 911.
  • Fire department, police and PG&E workers will tell you when it is safe to get out of the vehicle.

If there is a fire and you must exit a vehicle that has come in contact with downed power lines (Tips from PG&E):

  • Remove loose items of clothing.
  • Keep your hands at your sides and jump clear of the vehicle, so you are not touching the car when your feet hit the ground.
  • Keep both feet close together and shuffle away from the vehicle without picking up your feet.

Gas Safety Tips (Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention) from PG&E 

  • Customers who smell gas should vacate the premises immediately, call 9-1-1 and then PG&E at 800-743-5000.
  • If you smell gas, do not use anything that could be a source of ignition, including candles, cell phones, flashlights, light switches, matches or vehicles, until you are a safe distance away.
  • Never use cooking devices such as ovens or stoves for home heating purposes.
  • Make sure water heaters and other natural gas appliances have proper ventilation.
  • Never use products inside the home that generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, such as generators, outdoor grills or propane heaters.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors to warn when concentration levels are high.

Portable Generator Safety Tips from PG&E 

  • Be sure that the power needs of the device (electric load) are supported by your generator and does not exceed the manufacturer’s specifications.
  • Position your generator where its exhaust can vent safely to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and death.
  • Only use extension cords that are properly sized for your generator to prevent overheating. The American Wire Gauge (AWG) chart can be utilized to determine which extension cord is right for you. AWG measures extension cord thickness; keep in mind that the thicker the cord, the smaller the AWG rating will be.
  • Keep cords out of high-traffic areas so they don’t present a tripping hazard.
  •  Never run cords under rugs or carpets where heat can be generated or where damage to a cord may go unnoticed.
  • More information on electric generator safety is available on PG&E’s website at

Permanent-standby Generator Safety Tips from PG&E 

  • Installation requires a licensed electric contractor or other qualified professional.
  • Ensure electricity from your generator does not flow or “backfeed” into PG&E’s power lines. The most common way to prevent backfeeding is to install a “double-pole, double-throw transfer switch” along with your permanent standby generator.
  • Any additions or adjustments to your house wiring should be inspected by your city or county building department.
  • Once installation is complete, call PG&E at 800-743-5000 to let us know about your backup system. 

Back to top





CALFRESH – The California Department of Social Services will regularly post updates regarding CalFresh’s response to disasters such as wildfires, earthquakes, and severe storms.

  • Nevada County – If you receive CalFresh benefits and have lost food due to a power outage: submit a Form 303 or call Nevada County Eligibility at 530-265-1340 before March 30th.

Back to top


Back to top


The Prescription Drug Guide (PDF) provided by California Health and Human Services, is available in English and Spanish.

If you were unable to evacuate with your medications, a pharmacy should be able to assist you in obtaining your medication. To find an open pharmacy during an active emergency, visit the RxOpen website (as suggested by CalHHS), which has maps that include open and closed pharmacies.

Back to top


Call 9-1-1 if…

  • a power line is down
  • you smell natural gas or propane, which indicates a possible gas leak
  • for any other possibly life-threatening situation

A natural gas leak or a propane leak can be extremely dangerous. This includes any size of propane tank, including small ones used with barbecues. Report gas leaks immediately by calling 9-1-1 and then call your provider.

Never touch downed wires. If you see a downed power line, assume it is energized and extremely dangerous. Do not touch or try to move it—and keep children and animals away. Report downed power lines immediately by calling 9-1-1 and then call your electricity provider.

Most of Nevada & Placer counties

  • PG&E, 800-743-5002
  • PG&E Outages map – includes plug icons marking any locations of Community Resource Centers for charging devices, etc.
  • NOTE TO PIONEER COMMUNITY ENERGY CUSTOMERS: Pioneer Community Energy provides electricity only. All infrastructure – poles and wires – is owned and maintained by PG&E. So if your electricity comes from Pioneer Community Energy, you still will refer to PG&E for outage and Community Resource Center information.

Roseville Electric in Roseville, Placer County

Tahoe Truckee

  • PG&E, 800-743-5002
  • Liberty Utilities, 844-245-6868
  • Southwest Gas, 877-860-6020
  • Truckee Donner Public Utility District, 530-587-3896


  • For Propane Customers
    • Please try to alert your marketer when your propane is at 30-40% full to give enough time for delivery.
    • If using a propane backup generator for power, please consider using it for only essential appliances and focusing on health and safety needs like home heating and cooking.
    • Before a delivery, please clear the path of snow or debris to allow the marketer to safely access the on-site tank. If you are unable to clear the path to your tank, please request the assistance of a neighbor or volunteer, or contact local emergency responders.
    • If you are having difficulty connecting with your marketer, please contact or your local county OES office and let them know the following information: your name, address, name of marketer who supplies you, and relevant account information.


  • Water – contact your water agency when able.
  • Wells & septic systems – When power goes out, so do well pumps, and septic systems that have a pump. People with wells should have plenty of water on hand for drinking, flushing toilets, etc. Prepare in advance and find resources by doing an internet search on terms such as “wells and power outages.”
  • Land line, cell phone, and internet outages – contact those service providers when able.

Back to top



  • 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline, English 988 – Spanish 888-628-9454
  • CalHOPE, 833-317-4673 (HOPE)
  • SAMHSA National Helpline (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration), English and Spanish, 800-662-4357 (HELP), TTY: 800-487-4889
  • The California Peer-Run Warm Line Phone, 855-845-7415 (24/7)
  • Veteran’s Crisis Line, 800-273-TALK (8255), TTY: 800-799-4889, Text to 838255
  • See more mental health resources below in the FAMILIES section.


  • Mental Health 24 hr Crisis Line, Nevada County Behavioral Health, 530-265-5811 or 888-801-1437
  • Community Beyond Violence, Domestic Violence 24 hr Crisis Line, 530-272-3467
  • Alcoholics Anonymous, Grass Valley (English), 530-272-6287


  • Adult System of Care 24 hr Crisis Line, 888-886-5401 or 916-787-8860
  • Stand Up Placer, Domestic Violence 24 hr Crisis Line, 800-575-5352
  • Alcoholics Anonymous, Placer County (English & Spanish), 916-541-1485, José


  • Sierra Community House 24 hour Crisis Line for Domestic Violence and other crisis situations, 800-736-1060

Back to top


In response to the recent storms, flooding, mudflows, and other hazardous conditions in California, the National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) has developed resources to help families and communities navigate what they are seeing and hearing, acknowledge their feelings, and find ways to cope together. Resources include:

Psychological First Aid

The NCTSN also has resources for responders on Psychological First Aid (PFA; En Español). PFA is an early intervention to support children, adolescents, adults, and families impacted by these types of events. PFA Handouts include:

Other resources include:

Back to top



People can contact local food banks and American Red Cross to make cash donations.


Volunteer opportunities in Nevada County will be posted on the Connecting Point Volunteer Hub as available. Please note that most American Red Cross (ARC) volunteers must be trained and approved in advance of any incident.


The American Red Cross (ARC) is always accepting donations and in need of new volunteers to help respond to wildfires. Many ARC volunteer opportunities require advance training.


HomeShare American River is a nonprofit housemate-matching service that serves to quickly take advantage of housing resources. Match agreements can include exchanges of lower rent for affordable in-home services for “hosts” (and thus informal employment for “guests”). 530-746-8681. Service area includes Nevada County and Placer County.

Back to top


Nevada County Local Emergency Proclamation

  • Info here if issued

Placer County Local Emergency Proclamation

  • Info here if issued

California Proclamation of a State of Emergency

  • Info here if issued

Federal Emergency Declaration

  • Info here if issued

Back to top






In the event of a disaster, Nevada County Office of Emergency Services recommends the following trusted information sources (aka trusted news sources).



In the event of a disaster, County of Placer recommends the following trusted information sources (aka trusted news sources).


West of the Sierra & Donner Summit

East of the Sierra & Donner Summit


West of the Sierra & Donner Summit

East of the Sierra & Donner Summit

Back to top